Thursday, November 3, 2011

Kale Chips

For most of my life, kale has been one of those things that I know I should eat but I don't enjoy enough to make at home.  It's very high in vitamins C and A, and has fiber, but has just never been one of my favorite flavors when it comes to greens.  I got some last week at the grocery store and thought I would experiment a bit.  I sauteed it with garlic in vegetable stock and topped it off with red wine vinegar, which was pretty good, but didn't know what to do with the other half of the bunch.

Then I saw a recipe on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Smitten Kitchen, that was the answer to my prayers.  Kale Chips:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees, remove leaves from the stems and lightly coat with olive oil.
Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.  The result is a sweet, salty, crispy snack that I packed up in my lunch to munch on like chips.
But I definitely want to try it the Smitten Kitchen way as a garnish on top of starchy side dishes or homemade popcorn.
It's still healthy that way, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment