Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chicken and Yellow Rice Casserole


When I get busy I start making a lot of casseroles, and if I’m not careful I end up making a lot of boring chicken and rice combos.  I ran across a recipe for homemade yellow rice, and thought I would try to translate it to casserole form.  I really enjoyed the flavors and textures, a nice change from cream of mushroom-based recipes.  It also took me back to living in Tampa, where I survived long stretches on the yellow rice and pink beans served up at Cuban food joints.

Chicken and Yellow Rice Casserole

½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin
pinch of cinnamon
¼ tsp red pepper flake
½ tsp salt (plus more for veggies & chicken)
¼ tsp pepper (plus more for veggies & chicken)
(a few threads of saffron if you have it)
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
2 ¼ cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
½ cup green pepper, diced
½ cup red pepper, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 chicken breasts, halved

Grind spices, salt and pepper together in mortar & pestle.  Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet, coat rice with spices, toast for 1-2 minutes and remove from pan.  Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in same skillet, add vegetables (season with salt and pepper) and sauté until lightly browned.  Remove vegetables from pan, add last tbsp of olive oil, add seasoned chicken breasts and cook until dark brown.  Deglaze pan with ¼ cup stock.  Combine all ingredients (rice, vegetables, chicken and stock) in a casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed by rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment